Images via Google
Masquerade is everywhere – it’s been seen on Gossip Girl, PLL, The Vampire Diaries, and Revenge, just to name a few shows. The masquerade episode of Gossip Girl is forever one of my favorite episodes – the masks, the glamour, the dresses, and the drama – everything about a Masquerade is sexy and mysterious. I have secretly always wanted to attend a masked ball… which just happens to be the theme of my senior prom this Saturday! I was planning on buying a mask online or in LA, but the only ones I could find were too expensive, so I decided to just make my own. I loved Emily’s mask (from Revenge) and it served as inspiration for my own mask.
Here’s what I used:
- Eye mask from Hobby Lobby, $1.60 (with 40% off coupon)
- Blue paint (I had this already at home)
- Silver sparkles (from home)
- Feathers from Michael’s, $1.99
- Wood Stick from Michael’s, $0.20
- Jewels from Michael’s, $0.99
- Cello glitter from Michael’s, $3.29
- Random beads/sequins (from home)
- Paint brush and sponge (from home)
1) I began by painting my mask a medium shade of blue as a base color.
2) Next I sponged on two different darker shades of blue to give the mask some dimension and texture.
3) Before the paint dried, I added the cello glitter.
4) I also added silver sparkles and then lined the eye holes with bright blue sequins.
5) The final product! I used hot glue to secure the three feathers and jewel down on the front, then hot glued the painted stick to the side of the mask. Originally I planned on using more beads and sequins on the side of the mask, but I think it is sparkly enough just how it is.
I actually love the way it turned out; I’m so glad I decided to save my money and create something unique. Prom pictures can be found here!